Friday, June 4, 2010

Billy's Friday Tips!

6 Tips to get you started to being more green! All simple, anyone can do them, and they will yield some big savings in your check book and for the environment!

1.As we enter summer be sure to set your thermostat just a couple degrees higher to save on cooling costs!

2.Wash your clothes in cold water -- as much as 85 percent of the energy used to machine-wash clothes goes to heating the water.

3.Use a drying rack or clothesline to save the energy otherwise used during machine drying. I recently picked up a very inexpensive wooden rack that I throw out back every time I do laundry. Super easy to store, and when I'm done it rests in that small space between my washer and dryer!

4.Take shorter showers. Do you really need to take a 30 minute shower?

5.It's a great time to think about joining a CSA (Community Sustainable Agriculture) and be sure that your getting local produce. Many CSA's will drop your "share" at your house or office. How easy is that?

6.Stop buying bottled water! You can pick up a reusable water bottle from anywhere. It's that easy. I got one on sale at Starbucks for $6!

1 comment:

Mary Q Contrarie said...

Thanks for the nice list. If we are going to change the direction we are currently heading. All of us need to pull together and become more energy conservative. I am happy to say that I air dry all my laundry on clothes drying rack year round for two years now. I keep my AC set at 77. My heat at 68. I always wash in cold water. I do take 30 minute showers but I only take them 2 times a week unless I do yard work or some other dirty job. I can take a sponge bath at the sink the rest of the time.
I still need to work on the local food issue. I am vegetarian so that helps keep my carbon foot print down but I know I have some work to do in this area. And last but not least. I never buy plastic water bottles but I end up with them anyways they seem to multiply like rabbits.

Thanks again for the nice list.